Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Man vs Automated Telephone System

I have long been a hater of the automated telephone system. I have NO patience for it and, when subjected to the endless stream of options and button pressing, you will find me red-faced and cursing a process that is almost as long and annoying as this run-on sentence you just read. A lot of times "they" (whoever they may be) will try to pacify you right off the bat by claiming that "this automated service is for the ease and convenience of our customers"....who told you that? The people who invented it no doubt. There has never been a time in my life where I have called somewhere...be it a question of movie times, or billing issues, or even my gynecologists office! when getting a computer has been more helpful or faster. (although admittedly less awkward in the case of calling for results at the gyno)

I feel like a rat in a maze.."shit.. just hit a wall...ok, press 1 to go back to the main menu....OOOH look swiss cheese!...wait... what number do i press for questions about my bill again? FUUUCK"

Most of the time you go thru 15 minutes of this just to eventually get to an operator anyway. Look i am nobody special, but I am bitter about losing these precious moments to you automated system! It's adding up...and I need to hold on to as much of my free time as possible considering how many days, hours and years i am skimming off the end of my life living the way i do.

I will take an apathetic customer service rep over the ATS any day.

1 comment: