Just in case you didn't already know it....job hunting is a soul sucking experience. I haven't felt this dejected since 5th grade when I developed a wicked crush (on a certain boy who shall remain nameless)....alright.....Tony Volpe. I then spent the next 4 years trying to prove I was cool and worthy of his hunky teenage love. (sidebar:that's NOT a metaphor for male anatomy, get your head out of the gutter I was like...12 you pervert) I let him drink beers in our apartment when my mom wasn't home, hung out with him on his lonely overnight job watching our local public pool...AND I'm pretty sure I even let him feel me up once (over my shirt). He still never figured it out. Now if I did ALL that (and more, believe me) to get noticed by Tony to no avail...what in god's name to I have to do to get some bozo in human resources to notice my resume?
my new cover letter:
Dear Perspective Employer,
If you promise to respond to my inquiry about the position you posted (insert internet jobsearch engine here) I promise to let you drink that one can of beer you stole from your dad & watch R- rated HBO movies at my house before my mom gets home from work. Thanks for your time.
The comparison is valid. The rejection, disheartening...I only want to be acknowledged for the thought and work I put into both situations. Example:
If I spend two hours picking out an outfit & teasing my hair JUST like Debbie Gibson in the hopes that Tony Volpe will give me a compliment at the kegger on friday night...and he THEN makes out with some skank who looks like Tiffany instead...it is a crushing blow (and times it by 10 because I was a teenager)
If I spend one and a half hours filling out an online application (which by the way is just a repeat of the resume' I carefully, artfully constructed to impress (insert random company name), answering questions about my ethics, racial back round, and helping them with marketing strategies (How did you learn about this job? please choose from the drop down menu. Which website referred you?). I then essentially re-write a perfectly good cover letter and tease my hair...err i mean personalize it for said company to make them feel special. But no response...not ever?.....it is ALSO a crushing blow of the same magnitude.
Anyway, at least in the first example I was dedicated to one goal....now I feel like I am trying to make dozens of people think I am cool & worthy (ie; employable), and i don't even have the advantage of letting them feel me up (over my shirt) ....I mean I might, but I can't seem to even get the interview.
No comments:
Post a Comment